…because not everything is about wine and chocolates
Chocolates with wine: The perfect Valentine’s Day combo. Both supposed aphrodisiacs, these edibles have romance written all over them. Hence, they are constantly EVERYWHERE around this time of the year.
Don’t get me wrong, I love a good Cabernet Sauvignon with chocolates (preferably a Bordeaux with bittersweet chocolate), but did you know that there are other beverages that pair well with chocolate?
Indulge me in a little adventure and try out the following:
- Beer – preferably malty and/or brown ale; porter or stout
It seems technical, but good examples to try are Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout or Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale (Global Beer Exchange, Magallanes)
- Coffee – the darker, the better
- Muscat – preferably from California (the Orange Muscat smells like an orange grove, while the Black Muscat smells a bit like roses)
- Port – Ruby, Tawny, or Vintage
- Sherry PX – PX is the sweetest interpretation of these Spanish babies
- Sticky coffee spirits – coffee liquer (Kahlua), or even Patron Coffee (easy on the tequila though, it can be a pretty lethal combination!)
I hope this adds a different dimension to your chocolate pairing this Valentine’s Day. Cheers!